Information for Owners
Our HUD allows displays categories and items. Each category has a type, such as, sales, hunt, music venues, etc. When a resident opens an category on the HUD they will find a list of up to 100 items. Categories can have more than 100 items. Where there is more than 100, they are split into pages, and the categories show "1 of 2" and "2 of 2", respectively.
Each items will be specific to the type of category:
- Sales are all about showing individual items for sale.
- Hunts are all about showing finding free items hidden in a store.
- Stores are all about telling you about stores on the grid and showing their banner, what stuff they sell or maybe a signature item.
- DJ Music Venues are all about places you can go for free to can listen to music and tip DJs for the songs they play.
- Live Artist Venues are all about places you can go for free to listen to artists sing live the covers of popular songs or some of their original work. These people play for your tips.
- Art Venues are all about places you can go for free to look artists who have created visually stunning art within the Second Life environment.
- Scenic Locations are all about places you can go for free to explore through the visually stunning beauty of what they have done.
- Interesting Locations are all about places that don't really fit the other categories of music, art or scenic.
- Other categories are possible in the future.
- 3rd Parties can also create categories.
What are Tokens, Items and Categories?
When you buy from our store (or get a folder), you get A TOKEN. It's a random, but unique identifier, that has the format TK9999-99-9999. The token is you authority to register an ITEM for a CATEGORY.
An item is the thing you are registering. What an item "is" is dependent on the category. A category is a type of listing. Best to give examples. Categories can be things like:
- Sales Events
- Music Venues
- Art Venues
- Rental Properties
For each category there are different types of items:
- Stores list brands
- Sales Events list sales items
- Hunts list hunt items
- Music Venues list clubs
- Art Venues list locations
- Rental Properties list apartments or parcels
- Fairs list designers
We have a variety of categories, and our clients can create their own categories too, and have them show up on our HUD. Some categories have starting and ending dates, and some never expire.
When the HUD operates, shows the categories, then you can open the category up and see a listing of the items within the category.
Parameter Builder Demonstration
This video is only for Music, Art, Location and Store Brands. There will be a different video for Sales (and Sales Catalogues), and a third for hunts.
How to Register an Item for a Category
This is how you register for a category, and how they work. The fine details for this process is found in our Documentation and Quick Guide Notecards when you buy a token for a category or go to our store and use the Help Kiosk to get a copy. These are the steps to register:
- When you buy an item, you get a kiosk or object containing the scripts required to:
- Give away items.
- Sell items on your behalf.
- Catalog the item you are promoting (such as fairs or sales)
- You create a parameters notecard describing your item, but we provide a way to build these parameters by asking you questions about what you want to advertise. The Parameters are specified in a notecard, and you can rebuild the parameters, or learn the format of the notecard to edit the parameters yourself:
- Show up to 3 lines of text on the HUD for the item.
- Show a picture of your item.
- Specify a price for your item, if you're selling it.
- Identify your store/location group.
- Identify your marketplace store.
- Identify up to 3 additional websites.
- You add your store's landmark, parameters notecard plus all the items you want to give away, sell or promote your item with, into the object we provide.
- If you are registering a sales item, you often create a catalogue, which allows you to use your existing store vendors to perform the sales process.
- At fairs, you use a HUD which allows you register your ad. There is no object at the booth where you display your items, and therefore, nothing to give away.
- We read the parameters and verify the contents, and if everything is correct, we register your item.
What Happens After Registration?
- If the token requires manual verification:
- the object remains dormant until an administrator accepts the object into the category. Tokens must be accepted to be listed on the HUD.
- They can identify issues with the item.
- Any changes return the item to a registered state.
- If the token is auto accepted:
- The object remains dormant until the category start date, anybody clicking it will get a message saying the object cannot give out or sell items, then gives the dates it is active.
- The item object/kiosk activates, when the start date arrives. Anybody clicking it or paying for the item (if it's for sale), gets your items and landmark, plus a notecard from us talking about our Marvelous Mania.
- The category appears on the HUD on the hud at midnight on or after the start date arrives, and is removed when the finish date passes.
How much do categories cost?
Our categories are classified as Paid and Free. Our paid categories have an introductory cost of just L$10/day. A Marvelous Mania Manager can also offer paid categories for free for promotional purposes.
We provide free forever advertising for Art Venues, DJ, Live Artist Music Venues, Scenic Locations and Special Locations. Free Advertisements come with some restrictions. See our Free Ads policies for the list. But, essentially, if your art, music or location is in Second Life for the love of it (you're not making any money, except through tips and donations), then we are happy to give your free advertising for the love of it too. But if your location has a big store or mall, we feel you can afford our advertising fees. We do allow venues that have little stores, but that cannot be what the venue is about.
What is the Folder?
The folder of items you need to tell us what/how you will participate in the category. A typical package contains:
- Token - The name of the folder contains the token identifier "TK9999-99-9999".
- Object Category Object - Where TYPE is a name specific to the type of category you are advertising for, such as Store, Sales, Location, Hunt, etc. (No Copy-Modify-Transfer)
- Object Guide Arrow - An optional unscripted object with an Marvelous Mania arrow on it. You can use these optionally to help Residents find your item. (Not included for Hunts)
- Object Parameter Builder - An object that helps you build parameters for the category you are entering.
- Notecard Marvelous Mania - Documentation - Gives details about how to register your item, how the system works, error messages, etc.
- Notecard Marvelous Mania - Quick Start Guide - Gives the steps needed to register your item.
Where to Find Open Categories?
We maintain a listing of categories that are open to the public and are listed here: https://admin.mm4sl.info/opencategories/. The site lists categories that are open, and the SL URL location of the kiosk you can use to buy a package. This listing shows the category, name, category code, entry fees, allow item prices, when the submissions close, when the category runs, and its description. For Free Advertising, you fill out a Google Form, and we'll contact you.
When Can I Update my Item?
Anytime! But there are a few things you have to know.
If a category has started, your kiosk or hunt object will be updated right away, and the revised information appears on our HUD the following day. You can change anything about your submission.
If a category requires manual verification, such as hunts, it will have to be re-verified by the category administrator before it is allowed back into the category as an accepted item. Marvelous Mania is under no obligation to verify items after the category has started. Categories controlled by 3rd parties with this setting will have their own policies. Make sure you understand them before entering.
Options for Owners After You Register
Once the object is registered with our server, the owner can touch our object to get three options:
- Send - gives the folder to anybody within 20m of the item, including you. Use this option with an ALT to test object contents and permissions.
- Status - queries the platform to confirm the status of the item and the category.
- Unlist - deactivates the object, and removes it from the HUD the following morning. You use this feature to:
- Remove you submission from a category.
- Note: You do not have to do this if moving your item object to another parcel or region. Just take the object back into inventory, move it to the new location with an updated landmark.
Still need more information?
The rest of the detail is in the "Documentation for each Category type". You can get a copy by going to our store and using the HELP Kiosk. Otherwise it is included in every package.