Don't forget to set your language!
Organizer - Start Guide
If you are new to Marvelous Mania, we recommend you read Organizer Overview first, before continuing with this guide. If you continue and come across a term you don't know, it will be found on the overview page.
These are the type of categories we can do with Marvelous Mania our their current fees. We charge only for advertisements that are published (what we call an 'Accepted' advertisement).
- Cost: Free
- Brand Promotion - multiple designers or organizations advertise their stores by showing their brand logos, instead of individual items
- Cost: L$15/week
- Recurring Single Location Sales or Promotion Events - multiple designers gather in a single location to show off their new sales items (has to be at least once every 2 months)
- Cost: L$30 or 30% / event (or L$15/15% if it's recurring) of your end-clients token cost, which ever is greater
- General Sales - a designer buys a few ads in a generally available category to promote new or sale items
- Hunts - multiple designers hide items in their store and have residents spend time looking for the
- Cost: L$2/day (L$14/week) - Fee is only charged when the tenant actually set up an advertisement and it's displayed.
- CapserLet - Malls - Allow tenants to create advertisements. Organizers with multiple malls can share the same category.
- Cost: L$2/day (L$14/week) - Fee is charged at midnight each day when the advertisement is displayed, if a unit is rented, there is no cost.
- CapserLet - Rental Properties - Advertisements for rental properties show and hide based on when a property is available.
Remember!! We only charge for "Accepted" advertisements.
- If you create 90 advertisements and only 63 are accepted, you are charged for 63.
- If you are a CasperLet Mall with 200 tenants and only 70 ads are active today, then your daily cost is L$140.
Summary - Use to this table to estimate your costs. All prices are in L$
How SL Textures are Associated with Advertisements
Every advertisement in Marvelous Mania requires a texture. The texture can be provided in one of these ways:
- A designer logs into the website and provides the texture UUID for the advertisement.
- A designer drops the texture in our Texture Dropbox (see below) and we successfully match it up with an existing advertisement.
As you read further, you'll have to decide on the best way for your designers to get textures to you. There are easy ways, such as, just requesting the brand texture UUID as you collect other information from the designer. This is not that hard to do.
It's more difficult to entice designers to provide a texture for the item they are trying to sell at an event. When Marvelous Mania first started, we found that about 25% of designers were able to share their item textures with us. We have improved on average by having an active champion in the group, reminding designers to submit textures, etc. We also have texture drop boxes and a website for designers and organizers so that they can maintain their advertisements. A champion plus these changes resulted in a 75% coverage of designers.
This work has resulted in a Best Practice, which is a hybrid between item and brand advertising in order to achieve near 100% texture coverage of your event's designers. The more advertisements you can show, the greater your category's image will be in the eyes of the residents your advertising reaches:
- Use Google Forms to collect information about your designers, including fields required for Marvelous Mania (shown elsewhere).
- For events, collect the designer's brand logo and a one or two line (60-character) remarks about the brand. (such as "Women's Apparel and Jewellery" and "been in SL business since 2009")
- Upon input into Marvelous Mania, you have two choices:
- Make "auto accepted" Brand Only advertising where you identify the designer brands in your store.
- Make "Created" advertising, using the Brand and two comment lines as default. Designers can then set the texture, name, and comment using the texture dropbox in-world. Alternatively, they can edit the advertisement directly by logging into the website and editing the details online.
- After offering (and maybe a bit of hounding) designers to get textures, organizers can then accept the default brand advertisement they got from the designers when they applied via Google Forms (step 1)
Our In World Objects
* Standard Objects
- Login to Marvelous Mania
- Marvelous Mania placard (large and small (not shown here))
- Texture DropBox
- Texture DropBox Archive
- !Read Me – A notecard with a link to this web page.
- !!MM – Texture Dropbox – v1812b – The script found in the DropBox below, but in a separate script. It allows you to transform any object you want into a texture dropbox.
- Marvelous Mania – No Expiry Login Kiosk – v18.12 – Used by you and your designers to log into our website and maintain their advertisements.
- MM – Info Board / Get HUD – Large – Information residents to learn about MM and get our HUD.
- MM – Info Board / Get HUD – Small – Just the sign without out the Black/Red stand.
- arvelous Mania – Texture Dropbox – v1812b – Object that accepts textures and will automatically assign the textures to advertisements that are “Created”, or notifies them in local chat why the texture was not accepted.
- Marvelous Mania – Dropbox Archive – Object that receives copies of textures added to the DropBoxes, in case you need an in world copy. Using the archive is optional.
- When not in use, textures added to the dropbox are purged even if there was an error associating the texture with an advertisement.
What is the Texture DropBox and the Texture DropBox Archive?
The Texture DropBox is a Second Life object and script (free-of-charge) that allows you to provide a location where Designers can complete their advertising setup without having to login to our website to do it. These textures are associated with advertising they bought from a kiosk or you provided them via our import page. You can have several DropBoxes distributed on your event space. Designers who want more flexibility and quality will opt to use the website.
The Texture DropBox Archive is an optional feature. It is a Second Life object that allows you to retain an in-world copy of a full perm texture that was added to a Texture Dropbox. It can be located anywhere in world, but we recommend you keep it on the same region as the Texture DropBoxes. One archive will support multiple DropBoxes. When a texture is added to the DropBox, it sends a copy to this object only if it is a texture and fullperm.
How Designers Use It - Designers use the Second Life Viewer's Control or Option drag-and-drop to add textures to the object. It then reads information about the texture, then attempts to find an advertisement it can link the texture to and complete the advertisement.
How does it connect the texture to the advertisement?
- To understand how it works, you first have to understand a little bit about advertisement statuses ... When advertisements are added to the system, they are assigned a status called "Created". For an advertisement to be published on a webpage, it's status must be set to "Accepted".
- When we have a texture, we ask our platform if there is an available advertisement with the status set to "Created".
- If there is one, we tell our platform to use that advertisement slot and assign the advertisement to the designer, set the texture and the name.
- Then we set the status to "Accepted". (When your category has quality control, the status is set to "Registered" where you have a chance to review it before you manually accept it.)
This process means that a designer has only one chance to set the texture through this process, because the process relies on there being an advertisement with a status of "Created". If they want to make changes, they'll have to use the website to correct it.
Detailed How it Works (how we associate the their textures with your category's advertisements)
- You deploy our texture dropbox or add our script to an object of your choosing.
- Click the dropbox to initialize it. It asks for:
- The UUID of the Texture Archive. If you leave it blank, no textures on this dropbox are archived.
- Category Code - Provided on the website.
- Category Secret - A 50 character password - Provided on the website.
- It waits for a texture to be added to the object with a Control (Windows) or Option (Mac) drag-and-drop.
- Non-Textures are purged from the object. We issue a message in local chat for inventory items that are purged.
- We make sure the texture is full mod. The script cannot read the texture's UUID unless it's provided full mod. If it's not full mod, we delete the texture and issue a message in local chat.
- If there is an archive, we send a copy of the texture to your archive.
- We read details about the texture. The Creator UUID, Texture UUID and Texture Name.
- We delete the texture from inventory.
- We look for an advertisement with the "Created" status, for the creator's UUID. If we do not find an advertisement, we issue a message in local chat.
- We can tie the texture UUID to that advertisement. For auto-accept categories, we set the status to "Accepted", otherwise, we set the status to "Registered".
- We also use the texture's name.
- If the name contains a "~" we can separate the Item Name from the Item's Comment.
- If it's not present, then we just use the name, and set the item comment to a blank.
Note: In 2019, we will add the ability for a designer to also drop a landmark. We can then read the landmark to deduce the item's location. Without this feature, the DropBox cannot be used for sales events that don't have a central sales location.
Our In World Objects
* Token Kiosk
This Second Life object is used for selling or giving away (for free) advertisements to the General Public for your category. You have various methods to restrict who has access including group membership, access list and a banned list. It is described in greater detail here.
Our In World Objects
* CasperLet Interface
We have a 3rd option for providing advertising, our CasperLet interface. This interface has two options that allow you to set up advertising based on when a tenant rents or leaves a space:
- You can provide advertising for them. Allows you to help your tenants by promoting their content.
- Turn advertisements on when a renter leaves a property, and turn it off when it is rented. Allows you to offer an up-to-date and visual listing of properties you have available to rent. Note: Turning an advertisement on and off, involves setting the advertisement's status to "Accepted" or "Registered", respectively.
(a) Contact Us
We control who has access to our platform in order to make sure we are a good fit. Let's start with a conversation ... Contact Us ... We will help you complete the rest of these steps ...
(b) Decide on How you Want to Advertise
We currently offer these three basic types, and are described further below:
- Events with Brands - When you want to advertise with the designers logo.
- Events with Items - When you want to advertise with one or more of the designer's items they have for sale.
- Item Promoter - You handle the acquisition of designers and the promotion of their items, but we help you list on the web, for social media, in groups, and via our HUD.
- Experience Promoter - We provide a category that can advertise as many images as you want to help promote your experience.
(1) Events with Brands
Brand advertising involves the event organizer requesting a logo texture as you sign up to be part of their event. This is the easiest type of advertising to do because you simply ask for all Marvelous Mania fields at as they sign up, and we convert that into displayable ads. If designers need to make changes, they can preview advertisements and make changes as they need to.
(2) Events with Items
General Item advertising involves these stages:
- You use the designer signup form to capture fields needed by Marvelous Mania. This allows you to produce complete ads with lots of information about your designers.
- You provide Marvelous Mania access to your underlying spreadsheet, or provide a copy showing the avatar name, brand and our fields.
- We will convert the form data into basic ads.
- Designers can then use our login kiosk to update their ads, or use our Texture Dropbox which will associate textures and names with the advertisement, and mark it accepted.
- Organizer can also manually accept ads, so if the texture was a default logo or event texture, that might be good enough to list.
(3) Item Promoter
Set Up for the Item (Promoter) advertisement is a little bit different, because individual designers have to buy into the category in order to be part of it. We ask for L$30 minimum 30% of your fee, because we are providing all of the technology and fee collection, while you focus on sales and promotion.
(4) Experience Promoter
This is a category similar to Scenic Locations where you are trying to show a lot of images about your experience to people in a website format.
(c) Set a Recurring Schedule
- The way the system works is it replicates the current category, on a given day.
- We can handle a variety of daily, weekly and monthly schedules.
- This is to guarantee that you always have a category for each event.
- Note: Does not apply to categories involving CasperLet or one time categories (such as a store sales events, etc.)
(d) Decide on How Designers Get Advertisements
A token is the authority of an avatar to register and advertise an item in a category. One must be created for each advertisement. We have a variety of solutions for creating tokens:
- Manual Distribution
- You create tokens in your category using the website, and manually assign ownership to whomever you want for any reason.
- Once you create a token for a person, they can log into the website, and edit it.
- Token Kiosk
- You deploy Marvelous Mania Token Kiosks that can sell tokens to the general public.
- You keep all the money, and the kiosk does not issue refunds.
- The kiosk supports selling to group only members, individuals on a access list note card, and can even restrict some residents using a banned list.
- Import avatars and stores from Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, Open Office, and others, with "copy-and-paste".
- Create multiple advertisements per designer.
- Organize designers into groups, automatically.
(e) Actively Promote Advertisement Setup to your Designers
- The more you ask nicely for advertisers to provide you their ad pics, the higher number of advertisements you will get.
(f) Promote your Category
- Using the Second Life group notice features
- Using other advertising sites tied directly to Second Life, such as, https://sl-stuff.com/
- Using Internet Social Media (Facebook, Google, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr, and others)
(g) Analyze your monthly impression and engagement statistics!
- We keep up to 6 months of previous sales events and statistics. (prior to March 2019, statistics were kept for only 45 days).
- You need to perform some kind of analysis on the statistics to see if your sales and promotion strategies are giving you the right kind of market interest.
- Is your marketing increasing your impressions or decreasing them?
- How can you help your designers get more Engagements and Sales?
- Need more detailed analytics?
- Such as understanding where residents come from when they get to your page.
- Add Google Analytics Tracking scripts to your generated webpage.