Don't forget to set your language!
Organizer - Start Guide
Marvelous Mania is a technology company that makes it easy for store, event or concept organizers in Second Life to produce advertisements Internet-based web pages for their activity and an entry on our HUD so that residents can see information and teleport to stores or locations. We are constantly evolving our product as we encounter new problems, and striving to make it as easy and pain free as possible.
Our current processes produces:
- near 100% coverage when producing advertisements using brand logos.
- about 75% item coverage, meaning, 75% of designers will have an advertisement in your category.
- we're testing a hybrid approach that can also near 100% designer coverage.
Our platform is a collection of categories, and each category can be administered by one or more people. We generally allow a maximum of 100 advertisements per category. Our platform supports up to 999 advertisements per category, and do allow the 100 item limit to be broken under special circumstances, such as the the Art Galleries of Second Life, which has 225+ galleries.
- help organizers create web pages, which contain advertisements, that they can then post on social media and embed into other websites
- For embedding, you get a distinct web page independent of our indexing, that can be included a variety of websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Blogspot, Weebly, Wix, WordPress, and others.
- Planned for 2019, we will implement tags. Tags allow you to mark advertisements and produce separate webpages based on the filter. Examples of tags are: Ultra Sponsor, Elite Sponsor, Sponsor, Features, New Comer, Normal. Tag names are user defined and entirely an administrator function. It will replace the "Sponsor?" yes/no feature.
- Allow organizers to have loose or total control over content. We maintain a status within the advertisement. It starts out as "Created" but to be published, it's status must be set to "Accepted".
- Loose control - Auto Accept is On - Any advertisements that pass our editing controls are automatically accepted, and will be published.
- Total control - Auto Accept is Off - Organizers must manually accept all advertisements via our website. (for more information).
- Track and Show advertisement impression and engagement statistics as a single export in order to understand how your advertising is attracting residents.
- Use our CasperLet Interface to which allows organizers to either:
- Provide a way for tenants to set up advertising in a way that makes it easy to promote. Provide way for tenants to advertise and use a single category for all of your commercial properties
- Show and hide an advertisement in a category based on whether there is a tenant renting a unit. This allows you to embed the listing in a website, to identify properties available for occupancy.
- When there is a tenant, it hides the advertisement.
- Where there is no tenant, the advertisement reappears.
Note: We are currently not a marketing company, as such, we do not actively market the categories that are published on our website or HUD. Our goal is to make it easy for event organizers to produce as close to full ads so that they can present a more complete picture of their event's content.
A category is a collection of advertisements (sometimes called "items"). You can create a category for almost anything you want, however, we control who creates categories and have authority to remove any published items and categories that violate our operating policies. Generally, this is allowing adult themes to be shown on the website. We allow General and Moderate.
Categories controlled by one or more administrators, identified by their Second Life user key. Each administrator can use our Marvelous Mania Online Tools to access the category and make any modifications they want to any advertisement. Be careful who you give authority to. Make sure you trust them.
These are the type of categories we can do with Marvelous Mania and their current introductory prices. Prices are per advertisement.
- Cost: L$15/week
- Sales Events - multiple designers gather in a single location to show off their new sales items
- Store Sales - a single or few designers offer items in their store for a reduced fee
- Brand Promotion - multiple designers or organizations advertise their stores by showing their brand logos, instead of individual items
- Cost: L$30 or 30% of your end-clients token cost, which ever is greater
- General Sales - a designer buys a few ads in a generally available category to promote new or sale items
- Hunts - multiple designers hide items in their store and have residents spend time looking for them
- Embedded Hunts - Same as a Hunt, however, there is a puzzle embedded within the hunt that points to bonus items that aren't shown in the regular advertisement. We would provide the technology need to do this type of hunt.
- Cost: L$4/day (roughly L$30/week)
- CapserLet - Malls - Allow tenants to create advertisements. Organizers with multiple malls can share the same category.
- Cost: L$5/day ... but only when the advertisement is being displayed
- CapserLet - Rental Properties - Advertisements for rental properties show and hide based on when a property is available.
How Textures are Associated with Advertisements
Every advertisement in Marvelous Mania requires a texture. The texture can be provided in one of four ways:
- It is provided on spreadsheets that you submit to us for importing.
- A designer logs into the website, and provides the texture UUID for the advertisement.
- A designer drops the texture in our Texture Dropbox (see below) and we successfully match it up with an existing advertisement.
- It is provided to us via a REST API call to our platform.
As you read further, you'll have to decide on the best way for your designers to get textures to you. There are easy ways, such as, just requesting the brand texture UUID as you collect other information from the designer.
It's more difficult to entice designers to provide a texture for the item they are trying to sell at an event. When Marvelous Mania first started, we found that about 25% of designers were able to share their item textures with us. We have improved on average by creating texture drop boxes and a website for designers and organizers so that they can maintain their advertisements. These changes resulted in a 75% coverage of designers.
This work has resulted in a Best Practice, which is a hybrid between item and brand advertising in order to achieve near 100% texture coverage of your event's designers. The more advertisements you can show, the greater your category's image will be in the eyes of the residents your advertising reaches:
- Use Google Forms to collect information about your designers, including fields required for Marvelous Mania (shown elsewhere).
- For events, collect the designer's brand logo and a one or two line (60-character) remarks about the brand. (such as "Women's Apparel and Jewellery" and "been in SL business since 2009")
- Upon input into Marvelous Mania, you have two choices:
- Make "auto accepted" Brand Only advertising where you identify the designer brands in your store.
- Make "Created" advertising, using the Brand and two comment lines as default. Designers can then set the texture, name and comment using the texture dropbox in-world. Alternatively, they can edit the advertisement directly by logging into the website, and editing the details online.
- After offering (and maybe a bit of hounding) designers to get textures, organizers can then accept the default brand advertisement they got from the designers when they applied via Google Forms (step 1).
While it's not a perfect representation of all items in the event, it does show a greater representation of content when you use the Internet we create for you, in your social media.
What is the "Texture Dropbox"?
This is a Second Life script (provided by Marvelous Mania, free-of-charge) that allows you to transform any object into a location that Designers go to add textures to the category. They use the Second Life Viewer's Control or Option drag-and-drop to add textures to the item, it then reads the item and attempts to find an advertisement it can link the texture to and complete the advertisement.
To understand how it works, you first have to understand a little bit about advertisement statuses ... When advertisements are added to the system, they are assigned a status called "Created". These advertisements can be initialized with just the designer name or preloaded with information from spreadsheets, etc. What is important is, all advertisements must eventually get set to the "Accepted" status in order to be published. (There are two other states, but they are not discussed here.)
The Texture Dropbox is:
- initialized knowing which category it accepts textures for.
- It waits for a texture to be added to the object with a Control (Windows) or Option (Mac) drag-and-drop.
- We look at the texture creator's UUID, and compare that to advertisements in your category with the "Created" state.
- When it is found, we can tie the texture UUID to that advertisement.
- We also use the texture's name.
- If the name contains a "~" we can separate the Item Name from the Item's Comment.
- If it's not present, then we just use the name, and set the item comment to a blank.
The Texture Dropbox works best for events. It can work for non-events too, however, each advertisement needs a location (which was traditionally done with a landmark) ... this means the designer still has to go to the website to specify the location. So why bother with a texture drop-box extra step?
Will your Process Work with Us?
We want to know about your project and the things that are your biggest pains. This is mostly to understand if our platform will work for you. Each organizer does things a little bit differently and sometimes your processes do not align with ours. While we want to work with you, we will also be honest and tell you where our processes do not align, so you can decide if the fit works for you.
Let's start with a conversation ... Contact Us
If we agree to work with each other, these are the basic steps ...
(1) Fill out our Setup Form
- You fill out the basic information for your first category via http://setup.mm4sl.info.
- You only have to use this form once.
- We will work with you to make sure you understand all of the options; and there are a lot of settings and options.
(2) Set a Recurring Schedule
- The way the system works is it replicates the current category, on a given day.
- We can handle a variety of daily, weekly and monthly schedules.
- This is to guarantee that you always have a category for each event.
- Note: Does not apply to categories involving CasperLet or one time categories (such as a store sales events, etc.)
(3) We Create the Category
- Create the category with all of the basic settings.
- Assign your administrators to it. Changes in administrators must be done upon request, you don't have the authority to set the values.
- Walk you through how to edit your category, although we will also provide documentation on the website for additional help (planned for 2019).
(4) Decide on Advertising Type
We currently offer these three basic types, and are described further below:
- Events with Brands - When you want to advertise with the designers logo.
- Events with Items - When you want to advertise with one or more of the designer's items they have for sale.
- Item Promoter - You handle the acquisition of designers and the promotion of their items, but we help you list on the web, for social media, in groups, and via our HUD.
Events with Brands
Brand advertising involves the event organizer requesting a logo texture as you sign up to be part of their event. This is the easiest type of advertising to do because you simply ask for all Marvelous Mania fields at as they sign up, and we convert that into displayable ads. If designers need to make changes, they can preview advertisements and make changes as they need to.
Events with Items
General Item advertising involves these stages:
- You use the designer signup form to capture fields needed by Marvelous Mania. This allows you to produce complete ads with lots of information about your designers.
- You provide Marvelous Mania access to your underlying spreadsheet, or provide a copy showing the avatar name, brand and our fields.
- We will convert the form data into basic ads.
- Designers can then use our login kiosk to update their ads, or use our Texture Dropbox which will associate textures and names with the advertisement, and mark it accepted.
- Organizer can also manually accept ads, so if the texture was a default logo or event texture, that might be good enough to list.
Hybrid: Events with Items and Brands (see Best Practice above)
In events, designers are notoriously lazy about preparing advertisements or even providing a texture of the items they are trying to sell. Based on our experience, only 40-70% of your designers will offer textures of the items of the items they have for sale. To get a higher designer coverage rate, close to 100%, we recommend this hybrid approach:
- Collect Marvelous Mania fields on the Google Form (or similar), and collect a Brand Logo texture and a comment about their brand up to 60 characters.
- We'll convert the spreadsheet, or show you how to do it (if you're a bit technical).
- Allow designers to add a texture for the items they are selling. (via website or Dropbox)
- Before the event goes live on our website, go to the category and manually accept all designers who have a brand logo.
The result is an event with a mixture of item and brand advertisement (see above). But the outcome is advertisement for your event with all of the designers represented in some way; either via the items they are selling or via their brands.
Set Up for the Item (Promoter) advertisement is a little bit different, because individual designers have to buy into the category in order to be part of it. We ask for L$30 minimum 30% of your fee, because we are providing all of the technology and fee collection, while you focus on sales and promotion.
(5) Decide on Token Creation
A token is the authority of an avatar to register and advertise an item in a category. One must be created for each advertisement. We have a variety of solutions for creating tokens:
- Spreadsheet Import
Manual Token Creation
- You create tokens in your category using the website, and manually assign ownership to whomever you want for any reason.
- Once you create a token for a person, they will find it on the website for themselves.
Token Creation via Spreadsheet Import
This is to help a lot of designers get set up on Marvelous Mania with their profile and extra brands. In the future, you will be able to do this step yourself via the website. We are currently offering one spreadsheet import per category. Organizers with more technical Windows skills can install and run the software themselves.
This is used for events involving lots of designers:
- Assumes you are using Google Forms (or similar) to identify which designers will be in a given event.
- Your spreadsheet should capture the following fields specific to Marvelous Mania:
- Avatar Name (Required)
- Store Name (60 characters) (Required)
- Store Brand Texture
- Store Comment 1 (60 characters)
- Store Comment 2 (60 characters)
- Store Location SLURL
- Marketplace URL
- Flickr URL
- 3 additional URLs
- Note: The need to capture background information is largely to ensure that designers have good coverage of their Second Life Brand, as well as their Internet and Social Media presence. All information beyond Avatar Name and Store name is optional. If they If they do have a Designer Profile or a Designer Brand, it supersedes any information provide by any form.
- If you are doing "Events with Brands":
- We will be able to produce a completed advertisement because you will have all of the information necessary to do it.
- If you are doing "Events with Items":
- We will add "Created" advertisements to your category.
- Designers will need to modify the advertisement to get it Registered or Accepted.
- We will create ads with the store brand texture as the default, so that you can still include designers who didn't modify the advertisement you provided.
Token Creation via HUD
- This object allows you to create tokens using an in-game HUD.
- The HUD asks for an item name, creates a token with the current avatar location, and assigns them to your category.
- This approach allows you to walk around your store or locations, creating the basics for your advertisement, so you can fill in the details later via the website.
Token Auto Creation via CasperLet Monitor
- "CasperLet Monitor" is a script that monitors a rental box for tenant change. The CasperLet API is a little chatty, so our script filters out all other messages except when it detects a change in tenant, then sends this message to the "Token Auto Creation" server, which is another script running on your property.
- "Token Auto Creation" server:
- When a tenant leaves, the token assigned to the rental box is scrubbed of information and hidden from advertisements.
- When a tenant arrives, the token is assigned to the renter, and it appears on our website.
Token Property Trigger via CasperLet Monitor
- "CasperLet Monitor" is a script that monitors a rental box for tenant change. The CasperLet API is a little chatty, so our script filters out all other messages except when it detects a change in tenant, then sends this message to the "Token Property Trigger" server.
- "Token Property Trigger" server:
- When a tenant leaves, the token associated with the rental box is assigned to "Accepted" which causes the advertisement to be shown on the web page and HUD at midnight.
- When a tenant arrives, the token associated with the rental box is assigned to "Registered" which causes the advertisement to be removed from the web page and HUD.
Token Creation via API
- This is a custom GET/POST REST API that you can call to integrate your back-end to ours.