Don't forget to set your language!
This document is to help new users understand the Marvelous Mania advertising system. There are a lot of concepts in Marvelous Mania, this page will help you learn some of the concepts to help you get started. If you are looking for our costs, see here.
Who is Marvelous Mania?
Marvelous Mania is a technology company, based in Second Life, that makes it easy for store, event or concept organizers to produce advertisements that appear on web pages or on a HUD. The advertisements show an image, store name and item name, and can optionally also show store group, store location, store CSRs, marketplace URL, Flickr URL and up to 3 additional URLs. Residents can use either the website or the HUD to see information and teleport to stores or locations. We are constantly evolving our product as we encounter new problems, and striving to make it as easy and pain free as possible.
Our goal is to make it easy for event organizers to produce as close to full page web-based and HUD based advertisements to present the event's content; but do it in a way that reduces an organizers overall workload by helping them to delegate the advertisement setup process to the designers who become responsible for their own content. Most Second Life event and sales organizers who create periodic events that also have a web and HUD tell you they spend many hours preparing these assets (10-20 hours per week). That's unacceptable! We want our organizers to say "I cannot believe how little effort that was".
We are not a marketing company. This is why our per advertisement costs are so low. We're interested in the creation of assets that you can use on your social media platforms to to promote your own events. This is why we charge so little per advertisement.
Our current processes produces:
- near 100% coverage when producing advertisements using brand logos.
- about 75% item coverage, meaning, 75% of designers will have an advertisement in your category.
Our platform is a collection of categories, and each category can be administered by one or more people. We generally allow a maximum of 100 advertisements per category. Our platform supports up to 999 advertisements per category, and do allow the 100 item limit to be broken under special circumstances, such as the the Art Galleries of Second Life, which has over 200 galleries.
Our Major Features
- We help organizers create web pages, which contain advertisements, that they can then post on social media and embed into other websites
- For embedding, you get a distinct web page independent of our indexing, that can be included a variety of websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Blogspot, Weebly, Wix, WordPress, and others.
- We have a editing website for designers and organizers to maintain their content. The website supports 100+ languages.
- Allow organizers to have loose or total control over content. We maintain a status within the advertisement. It starts out as "Created" but to be published, it's status must be set to "Accepted".
- Loose control - Auto Accept is On - Any advertisements that pass our editing controls are automatically accepted, and will be published.
- Total control - Auto Accept is Off - Organizers must manually accept all advertisements via our website.
- Allow organizers to import designers into categories using just the avatar name and store name, from sources such as Google Sheets, Microsoft Office or Open Office, and many others, using copy-and-paste!
- Sell advertising through token kiosks. Our kiosks support the ability to sell tokens for different fees depending on the sponsors placement in your category (aka groups).
- Track and Show advertisement impression and engagement statistics as a single export in order to understand how your advertising is attracting residents.
- Use our CasperLet Interface to:
- Provide advertising when a resident becomes a tenant at one of your properties, then removes it when they are evicted.
- Show and hide an advertisement in a category based on whether there is a tenant renting a unit.
- Implement a web and HUD presence that is completely independent of Marvelous Mania's web and HUD platforms using a feature called "Classifications". This means you can reskin our HUD with your brand, and your webpages to produce a completely different look and feel.
We Don't Do Marketing
Note: We are currently not a marketing company, as such, we do not actively market the categories that are published on our website or HUD.
If you are asking why invest time if we don't market? It's because the production of a website takes many hours to produce. We help spread the load of this work to your designers. In an event with 50 ads, it will take 4-8 hours of usually very dry work to set up a website. Besides that time saving, we offer the ability for you to test your marketing strategies by collecting basic impression statistics for impressions and engagements. Need more statistics? You can now embed Google Analytics into your page, and track how residents navigate to your site.
What is an Advertisement?
Everything in Marvelous Mania for a category revolves around an advertisement. This is how we advertise Marvelous Mania:
This is a good example of what is possible with an advertisement that has been set up completely, and a lot of the information on the advertisements comes from a designer profile (see below).
Note: The link above allows you to share a specific advertisement. To get the link, you simply click this button that is found on every advertisement, when you zoom in and see the large image.
What is a Category?
Advertisements are organized into categories, which is administered by one or more people. Categories can be used to promote any Moderate content. You can create categories for events, sales, hunts, puzzles, art, music, entertainment, sponsors, etc. Here is an example category containing Scenic Locations:
Each category can have ordered groups. A group is a collection of advertisements, which appear as header bands in the body of the webpage. Groups are also used with Token Kiosks (see below). Here is an example category for "The Chapter Four" for February 2019 that shows these groups in action:
Each category has a set of administrators. Each administrator can maintain the category via our website (see below). Categories have enormous flexibility with more than 40 settings, although most of the time you only need to tweak 2-3 settings. Only Marvelous Mania can identify who the administrators are for a category. It's completely changeable, but we retain that authority to assign and revoke administrative authority.
What is a Token?
A token is a unique code assigned to each advertisement, and therefore the terms "token" and "advertisement" refer to the same thing; an advertisement. Tokens are used largely to manage impression and engagement statistics. Tokens can also be assigned by a category owner when the advertisement is created; this feature is needed for Categories using our CasperLet interface.
For sales events, where you sell advertisements to designers who wish participate in your event, organizers use a "Token Kiosk" which sells or provides for free, a token that grants permission for the designer to participate with an advertisement in a category. See more under "Advertisement Setup for Event Categories" (below).
For monthly events, where you are using Marvelous Mania to advertise the event, but already have a list of designers, you need to pre-create advertisements and tokens for your designers. Once created designers can use the website to set up their advertisement. We provide an easy to use importer for organizers, which requires just an avatar name and store name.
You can also create tokens via the website and assign the advertisement to any person.
What are Status Codes?
All advertisements can have one of four status codes.
Each new advertisement gets the "Created" status. In order for an advertisement to be published on our website, the status has to be transformed to "Accepted". There are several ways this can happen. During import, through the designer's actions or edits to the advertisements by the category's administrators. (via the website or via the texture dropbox (see below for both)).
There are two other codes, "Registered" and "Issue". They are used for categories where the organizer wants to control what advertisements are shown in their category. This can be used for quality control purposes, such as a Hunt or Sale Event. In these categories, any changes to the advertisement, set the status to Registered. A category administrator must manually accept them or raise an issue (with a comment) so that the designer can correct the advertisement.
Note: Designers can set the state of their ads to "Registered" in order to unlist their advertisement from your category.
What are the Marvelous Mania Online Tools
This is our website that allows designers and category owners to maintain their advertisements and categories.
You login to the website using a login kiosk. We distribute the kiosks free of charge and with copy/transfer permissions so it is easy to distribute it. The tools are easy to use and support translation from English (the default) to more than 100 other languages.
Advertisement Setup for Event Categories
These are the steps:
- Create a spreadsheet containing Avatar Name and Store Names.
- Monthly Event Organizers who use Google Form and Sheets, to collect designer information, will find it very easy to import designers.
- You create advertisements for designers using our Category Import feature. To make it work is really easy:
- Copy avatar name and store name directly from your Google Sheet, and paste the text into our import window (using copy and paste).
- This works with Excel and Open Office too.
- There is only one requirement; put the avatar name in the first column and store name in the second column.
- Perform "Verify Names".
- This tests the names to make sure they are valid.
- Any names that are not found prevent the import from continuing, so you will have to correct the import before going on.
- There is an option to skip designers who already have advertisements. This simple feature means you can recopy the entire spreadsheet into our import window and not have to manually remove designers you have already set up with advertisements.
- We check to see if the avatar has a designer profile. If they don't, you can create a default one for them, which consists of their avatar name and store name. We don't display avatar names on our website or HUD, only the store name, but we need the avatar name to figure out the avatar SL key.
- You can start the "create default profile" option even if there are names that have errors.
- Once the names are verified, you can import the designers and stores. You can:
- Set the state.
- Identify which group to use (or none)
- Identify the number of ads for each designer
- Identify the default item location
- Identify the default advertisement texture
It is strongly recommended, that you inform the designers in your event "setup or application form" that you are using Marvelous Mania for advertisement. That you recommend they set up a designer profile via our website as soon as possible so they don't have to do it later.
How do you encourage your designers to complete their advertising set up?
If you are asking your designers to set up their "item advertising" for you, expect to get about 80% coverage if you remind them throughout the event setup. We recommend these group notices:
- Once before set up begins.
- 1-3 times during set up
- Once two days after the event has started (3-5 times/event).
We recommend at least 3 times, but how often you remind your designers depends on what percentage coverage you want for the final web page. We have seen rates of about 70-80% coverage with this technique, but it takes a few months of use before you can expect to see those numbers. Designers need time to learn and trust our platform, if they have not used it before. Some designers will not set up advertising no matter how much you ask.
Things you say in your notice:
- Tell them they get advertising for the event through Marvelous Mania (https://mm4sl.info).
- Tell them that setting up advertisement helps promote themselves and others to the event, and will encourage my buyers.
- As you get more advertising setups, share the unpublished webpage with your designers.
- Let them know the website supports over 100 languages.
- Let them know they can contact Marvelous Mania if they run into any problems. We're always here to help.
Important Note: 100% coverage, is possible. If designers are required to set up their brand icon, and all your designers have done this, then website generation can take as little as 5 minutes from import to webpage generation and viewing.
What are Designer Profiles?
- Store Name
- In-World Store Location (SLURL)
- Group UUID
- Up to 3 Customer Service Links (main website, or the URI's of a store's CSRs)
- Marketplace URL
- Flickr URL
- Up to 3 custom websites
Furthermore, designers can also set up a brand logo, with default comments and details. They can also publish their brand on our weekly index.
Designer Methods To Set Up Advertisements
Once an advertisement is created for the designer, they have two ways to set up the advertisement.
DROPBOX. The easiest method for the designer is to use our texture dropbox. This method allows a designer to set up an advertisement with a texture and have it "Accepted". We provide a script (that you can add to any object or we provide a scripted box too), that you initialize by clicking on it. To initialize, you click the box and it will ask for codes to associate this dropbox to your category. Once initialized, designers can (Ctrl) drop a texture onto the object, and when we confirm it's full mod, we process it. First, we determine the texture's creator's key, image key, and the texture name. We associate the texture with any designer advertisement (in your category) that has a "Created" status. The texture name appears in the advertisements item name, and if they use a tilde symbol (~) in the name, we split the comment into the item name and item comment. To get more features, the designer can enhance their advertisement via our website.
WEBSITE. The website allows the designer to set up a profile, manage their advertisements, and review statistics. The profile allows them to identify their brand, and provide additional, but optional, information. If designers take the time, they can set up a profile to provide their brand info, store grid location, group, marketplace, Flickr, and 6 custom websites or SLURL destinations in their profile. When we produce an advertisement, we merge the designer profile with the basic advertisement details. The website allows a designer to set up their advertisements by providing a way for them to identify their texture via its UUID.
IMPORTANT: To use the website, a design has to Login. We provide a Second Life object called the "Login Kiosk" that will generate a link to log into the website. The kiosk is provided Copy/Transfer, so it's easy to distribute it to your designers. Designers can also buy a free copy from the Marvelous Mania store.
For category owners, you use our website to manage your category. Only the people you identify as administrators will have edit access to the category. You can add and remove administrators with a request to us.
There are a lot of settings associated with a category, ignoring advertisements and groups, the category has more than 40 settings, however, after set up, most of these settings do not need to be changed.
Where To Next?
- A more in-depth guide to our platform.
- Visually explains how the website works so that you can administer a category.
- Note: While there are a lot of settings, only a few of them are ever need to be updated in a given month. Usually, you only modify the dates, the texture, and everything else can be left as is. You will need the website to retreieve each category's code and secret. These two values are use to initialize in world objects such as our kiosks and texture drop-boxes.
- Explains how to import avatars and stores into your event's groups.
- A "Group" is category feature that allows you to show advertisements in ordered groups on the website.